Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Day of Rest?

A day of rest? Not very likely today here.

Yesterday was spent breaking ground for 3 new in-ground gardens for vegetables and a plethora of never ending other chores in the established raised beds. Due to our cold and very wet Spring we are having to do everything (it seems) in and for the garden in a small window of time to be able to have food from the garden by mid June. We are off and running.

Never having done any tilling before it was quite the adventure. I had to call my brother to get some advice, tips, tricks and guidance. DH was doing the heavy work of tilling while I was occupied elsewhere in the gardens. I did perchance to turn and watch DH and realized he was having a rough go of it. The tiller was running away with him at times, just bouncing over the top of the grass and being highly ineffective. But, after talking with my DB, the problems were solved and the tilling advanced quite nicely.

My odd and diverse chores included; building a trellis for a whole box of peas by making do with found and saved objects from around the house, garage and garden box, sifting compost (talk about flying bugs up my nose and in my eyes), planting loads of carrots and then finding in the garage plastic I used for the job last year and then covering the peas, bringing the seedlings in and out of the house for hardening off, hand tilling 2 of the raised boxes in prep for planting, keeping an eye out for the "doggones" Gracie, so she would stay out of the way of the tiller, trying to figure out what was wrong with the lawn tractor (not good news there... the tractor mechanic is coming wednesday), drive 30 miles RT to pick up a pool I was gifted on freecycle (yippee!), make gallons of sun tea for the parched workers in the garden (DH and I) and oh what else... clean the house, do laundry (which is still in the machine and ready for hanging out) and, then finally to shower and cook a meal for dinner.

Can you spell E-X-H-A-U-S-T-E-D? I fell into bed at 9 and, was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

No comments:

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive