Friday, June 11, 2010

Grandma's Apron


Grandma's Apron …

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because
she only had a few. It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than
dresses and aprons used less material. But along with that, it served as a
potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for
cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and
sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been
shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the
trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture
that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and
the men folks knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that
'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.


By The Way …

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her
granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Phyllis,

Boy do these aprons bring back memories of holiday time in my house as a kid, my Aunt Coco would always wear one, and my grandmother too. Not my Mom as she didn't cook for these affairs she barely cooked at home that's why we always had resturants. I know Emerald would know what they were since she took Home Economics this year as an elective and she wanted me to make her one. Well T.G.I.F. didn't get any rest last weekend and probably won't this weekend aws Davids is moving into his new house. At least I have Don here to watch the kids so I can go down and mearsure his windows as I am making his curtains for a house warming gift. His house is so cute I will take pictures.
Love Ya
Sister Karen

Phiddy said...

Thanks Karen.
I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of Davey's new house.
Good luck with the curtain making and make sure you take pictures of them also.
Sister Phyllis

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

I love this. My granny always wore an apron but until reading your post, I never realized that Yes! She used her apron for all these things too! Brings back wonderful memories!

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive