Wednesday, June 23, 2010

And, the Rains Came


It rained all day yesterday. Well, almost all day. It held off till the guys had gotten the pellet stove installed. (Big hole in wall for stove pipe's exit from the house, not a good idea with rain.) Thank you guys for a job well done.

We had to scramble to hook up hoses to the overflow outlets on the rain barrels. We sure didn't want all the excess rain water running down into the foundation of the house. Then the water stays in the crawl space and once there become a secure haven for egg laying mosquitoes.

Since living in the tropics and fighting hand to hand combat with those wily little buggers while there.... have I told you how much I hate mosquitoes? I do you know. A whole lot! In the tropics, they are fast and small but, here in Canada.... these nasty things are extra large and pretty slow. But, that doesn't make them any easier to kill. Far from it. They hide out in the strangest of places and lay in wait for the next warm blooded animal to walk by whether it's man or, beast.

For the past couple of nights I have been attacked in my sleep by mosquitoes. Waking with welts and itching till my skin is raw. This has necessitated my sleeping with a few fans. One which blows directly on me from less than 2 feet away, it sits on the bedside stand. The second one being the ceiling fan revving up going full tilt boogie or, the third one an oscillating fan pointing directly on me at the foot of the bed running on the highest of highs.

Poor DH.... who loves the heat as much as I love the coolness, is just about ready to sleep elsewhere due to the winds generated by all the fans. He complains all night long of being cold. I feel for him... but, I hate mosquitoes and what they do to me more than I am bothered by his being cold. Poor guy. But, more is... poor me. He can just grab a blanket and cover up.

Frigging mosquitoes!

2 comments:

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

When my husband and I went to Maui several years ago, we thought it would be so great to sleep with the windows open and listen to the ocean. We woke up at 3:00 in the morning covered in welts and had a room full of HUGE mosquitoes. We closed the screens the next night!

Unknown said...

One thing that may help you while your outside in the garden or in bed. It's fabric softener sheets. For some unknown reason this really works and all the golfers use them when their out golfing. You simple tie a sheet to you belt buckle or near your bed, it not only keeps the mosquitos at bay but also will keep wasps and bees from attacking. It beats putting chemicals on your body to keep away those pesky pest's!

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive