Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Frugal Shall be My Middle Name

Doggie Treats
Instead of spending money on expensive dog biscuits, buy a bag of a different kind of dog food and give as treat or reward to your dog. They do not know the difference. The pieces are smaller, and they may actually lose a few pounds in process.

What to Do with Canned Fruit Juice
Whenever you open a can of fruit, instead of pouring the liquid/juice down the drain, save it in a salad dressing type container. Then add some balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and spices to your liking to make a delicious salad dressing. I also use it for braising meat, such as pork or chicken, and it makes the meat so much more flavorful. The store bought fruit flavored salad dressing can run about $4. You can make your own for a fraction of that. Enjoy your own gourmet salad dressing!

Sweet Potato Slips
Sweet potato slips are expensive, so I start my own in February/March by putting a sweet potato in a large glass or clear plastic jar (pickle jars work great) and suspend the potato in the jar with toothpicks. I fill it with water and put it in a sunny window, and in no time at all, the slips grow out of the top. When they are about 4 to 5 inches tall, I cut them from the potato and root them in their own water. You can make many slips from one sweet potato.



No comments:

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive