- 2 whole Medium, Firm Green Tomatoes
- bacon fat (yes bacon fat as it tastes the best)
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil, if you don't want to use bacon fat
- ½ cups Milk
- ½ cups Whole Wheat or, White Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoons Pepper
- ½ teaspoons Optional Seasoning, garlic, chili powder, whatever you like
- 3 whole Eggs Beaten
- ½ cups Cornmeal
Use a mandoline to slice each tomato into eight 1/4-inch thick slices. Use a cast iron skillet for the best results. Heat up your bacon fat or, your oil of choice.
Meanwhile, set up breading station using 4 shallow dishes. Put milk in the first; flour, salt, pepper and seasoning in the second; eggs in the third; cornmeal in the fourth. Dip a tomato slice in the milk, then the flour mixture, then the egg, then the cornmeal. Fry tomato slices for 2 minutes on each side. If they are browning too quickly, turn the heat down. They will need about 4 minutes total for the tomato to become slightly softened on the inside. Repeat with all tomato slices. Remove tomatoes and drain on a paper towels. Serve warm.
Makes 16 slices.
Since yesterday's post was about green tomato mincemeat and I talked of glorious and beautiful fried green tomatoes... well here is the recipe I use. Enjoy!