Sunday, March 24, 2013
How to build a Mosquito trap
2000ml (2 liter) bottle
50 gram coarse sugar
1 gram yeast (comes in little packet in baking section of store)
1. Cut the top of the bottle at the neck to create a funnel top and open bottom.
2. Put 200ml hot water in the bottle, stir with 50gram coarse sugar. Put the sugar water in cold water to cool it down til 40C (temperature).
3. After cooling down, put the sugar water in the bottle then add the yeast.
No need to mix the yeast with the sugar water. When yeast ferments, it creates carbon dioxide.
4. When you cut the bottle, don't throw the top part away because that will be needed for step 4 - put the top upside down to fit into the bottle.
Carbon dioxide will be released from where we drink the bottle so make sure to seal the edge.
5. Put black paper around the bottle since mosquitos like dark places and carbon dioxide.
This mosquito trap will then start working.
TIPS: Put the trap in some dark and humid place for 2 weeks, you'll see the effect. You'll have to replace the sugar water + yeast solution every 2 weeks. Or, the whole thing if it causes you to be queasy dealing with a lot of dead mosquitoes.
Little old me...
- ► 2014 (18)
- ▼ March (12)
- ► 2012 (49)
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (177)