Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Woods and Snow


It's been snowing every day here for a week. Yesterday I had the chance to go for a walk in the woods. It was really quiet in there with the light and fluffy snow falling. It was also very beautiful. It reminded me of this old poem I remembered reading as a school girl. I knew it was probably a Robert Frost poem... and so I went to search for it via the google. Here it is;

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

-Robert Frost – 1923


And isn't that a mention of the winter equinox in this poem?



1 comment:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

What a lovely poem. I just realized that the non-rhyming word in each stanza introduces the rhyme of the next. Amazing…...

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive