Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Tomatoes

It's way past time to do something with all my tomatoes. 

The cheery cherries I have been dehydrating at an incredible rate. Those little buggers are still coming on strong. Thing is, I only planted one plant. And, it won't stop producing. But, that's okay, I'm not complaining.... they will be very tasty this winter when anything that bears resemblance to a tomato in the grocery store will taste like cardboard. These dehydrated honeys are such pretty little things in the mason jars.... a bold bright vivacious red colour. (Can red be vivacious?)They look like jewels. 

The romas did well. I am happy to report. They make canning tomato recipes so much easier as they are mostly meat with far less seeds and water than a "normal" tomato has. Which if you know anything about tomatoes, you gotta know they are approximately 95% water. And, when you make things to can like tomato paste, spaghetti sauce, ketchup and tomato soup you have to let these things cook down for a long periods of time if you are using a standard versus Roma tomato. Bet you didn't know that, eh?

Since hubby is now a vegetarian.... it's a meatless spaghetti sauce I'll be doing today. 

Below are pictures of some of the tomatoes I have been jawing about. 




 

No comments:

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers