Thursday, October 14, 2010

Polaris and Finding North

At this time of year, you’ll find the Big Dipper near the horizon.

Look for seven major stars: four in the "bowl" and three in the "handle." The two stars on the outside of the bowl are called the “pointer” stars. They always show the way to Polaris, a bright star that is also called the North Star, which lies in the handle of the Little Dipper.

Here's how to find north:
1. Find the Big Dipper.
2. Find the pointer stars.
3. Find Polaris.
4. Look straight up.
5. Turn your body toward Polaris.
6. Now, you're facing north!

2 comments:

Cartoon Characters said...

my husband and i were in the hot tub last night looking up at the sky looking for the dipper!
I love this time of the year!

Phiddy said...

Wish I had a hot tub to do this.
Did you find the dipper?

Phiddy

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive