Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Uses for Newspaper
• Use as a fire starter and then use the ashes to raise the pH of garden soils.
• Use as a weed-suppressing mulch. Lay them down several pages thick and cover the paper with a thin layer of hay, pine needles, or wood chips to make aisles between your garden beds.
• Create a new garden spot without mechanical tillage. Lay down a thick layer of newspapers and top off with a thinner layer of hay, straw, or leaves. By the following spring, the grass underneath will have died!
• Protect young vegetable seedlings from cutworms. Wrap the lower stem with a tight collar of wet newspaper that extends an inch into the soil and at least an inch above the soil line.
• Clean windows. Crumpled newspaper and white vinegar make an unbeatable combo for washing windows and other glass surfaces.
• Cut-flower holder, wrapping paper (cartoons especially), and funny hats!
Little old me...
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (60)
- ▼ March (5)
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (177)