Thursday, August 11, 2011

Tomato 101


When Are Tomatoes Ready?
• A ripe tomato is firm and only slightly soft.
• If your tomatoes fall off early, place them in a brown paper bag with an apple.
• To store ripe tomatoes, place them in a cool, dark place in a single layer with the stem up.
• Never place tomatoes on a sunny windowsill to ripen; they may rot first.
• Never refrigerate tomatoes. Doing so spoils that garden tomato taste.

Since soon I am going to be inundated with tomatoes I thought I would post this little bit of knowledge.

We have so far been enjoying the yellow cherries, beefsteaks, best boys and the funny ones with the orange stripes on a red background. Geez, I wish I would have label them all then I would have known the names of them to tell you and others.

Did I tell you I have 70 plants?


1 comment:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

“Did I tell...”

You may have mentioned it once or twice in passing !~! The bounty entices; the work not so much.

Orange stripes on red sounds like Gala apples. How big is that plant ?~! If birds build nests in what you think are tomato plants, you may have an apple tree...

I love you... and the gardens and your family and Gracie poo too.

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers