Thursday, August 11, 2011
When Are Tomatoes Ready?
• A ripe tomato is firm and only slightly soft.
• If your tomatoes fall off early, place them in a brown paper bag with an apple.
• To store ripe tomatoes, place them in a cool, dark place in a single layer with the stem up.
• Never place tomatoes on a sunny windowsill to ripen; they may rot first.
• Never refrigerate tomatoes. Doing so spoils that garden tomato taste.
Since soon I am going to be inundated with tomatoes I thought I would post this little bit of knowledge.
We have so far been enjoying the yellow cherries, beefsteaks, best boys and the funny ones with the orange stripes on a red background. Geez, I wish I would have label them all then I would have known the names of them to tell you and others.
Did I tell you I have 70 plants?
Little old me...
- ► 2014 (18)
- ► 2013 (60)
- ► 2012 (49)
- ▼ August (6)
- ► 2010 (177)