Monday, September 27, 2010

The Ending of a Good Garden Year Part Deux

I am sorry for the previous post. I was upset. I should not have written what I did. Please forgive my bad temper. I will do better and be better.

Tonight's weather is rain and more rain. We have battened down the hatches in preparation for the 2 to 4 inches of rain predicted for overnight. Our rain barrels which we had started to disconnect, we had to reconnect to keep this amount of rain away from the house foundation.

The moving of the three smaller raised garden boxes had to put on hold. The soil was covered so it wouldn't wash away as it's out of the boxes as they are getting reassembled.

While we fretted and waited on the rain, I went apple picking. Have I ever told you how fresh and sweet an apple is right off the tree? That first crisp crunch...mmm. I sampled over 4 different varieties of apple trying to decide which kind to bring home for applesauce, apple pies and crumbles. I will probably pay for this tomorrow! I did decide on snow and spartan apples. Neither of which I have done anything with before. It's always been the standard, the MacIntosh I have bought. But, I threw caution to the wind today and was adventurous. I'll let you know how things work out with these new types for me.

Oh I did make applesauce to go with the roast pork loin I made for dinner. Was it ever tasty. I used the lobos I had previously purchased. They made a fine applesauce without any added sugar. Sweet and cinnamony, because how can you have applesauce without adding cinnamon to it? (Thank you Joy for that cinnamon!)

2 comments:

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

How do you make applesauce, Yankee? It must be pretty straightforward, no?

Phiddy said...

Yes it is.... sent you an email about it.
Probably should have posted it here too...
Sorry just wasn't thinking. not enough
c(_)<- coffee cup, cute eh?

Little old me...

My photo
Canada
An american yankee up past the 49th parellel.

Followers

Blog Archive